Summer is that wonderful period of the year, when we can truly enjoy the perks of having a garden or a patio and when we make it as our second living room and spent most of the time, hanging out, chilling and even having meals.
I simply love the idea of decorating my small patio with flowers and candles and all kinds of garden decorations. But, my most favorite is the “do it yourself” terra cotta fountain, which can truly refresh the atmosphere and the energy in your garden.
Water can only create a more positive vibe, feel like you are near some river or ocean and it’s definitely stress reliever. After a long, stressful day, your homemade fountain will simply make your day and you will forget about the problems outside the patio, at least for a moment.
A great accessory, which is not only cheap, but it doesn’t require a great amount of space. You can put it over your table, in a corner, wherever you want, but you won’t regret making it, not even for a second.
You’ll only need few materials, which some of you may already have, and follow the simple instructions to make this amazing water feature.
Things you will need before starting to make your own terra cotta fountain:
- 14 inch Terra Cotta Saucer
- 7 inch Terra Cotta Saucer
- 6 inch Terra Cotta Saucer
- 3* 4inch Terra Cotta Saucers
- 6 inch Flowerpot
- 4 inch Flowerpot
- Fountain Pump
- Plastic Tubing
- Silicone Sealer
- Clear Spray Sealer
- Round File
- Drill & Masonry Bit
How to do it?
- Take the 14 inch terra cotta saucer and spray the insides with clear sealer, let it dry, and repeat the action several times in order to make it waterproof.
- Take the rest of the saucers and flowerpots and soak them in water, for at least an hour. By doing this, it would be easier to drill them and make notches.
- Take the 7 inch terra cotta saucer, drill it in the center and use the fill to enlarge the hole, if needed. The hole should be large enough to fit the plastic tubing.
- Take the 4 inch and 6 inch saucers and file 4 notches, the notches should be large enough to fit through the pump.
- Take the 7 inch terra cotta saucer and make a notch in the lip
- Attach the plastic tubing to the pump, if you have difficulty to attach it, soak the tubing in hot water,in order to soften it.
- Place the 6 inch flowerpot upside down on the base, put the plastic tubing through the hole and place the 7 inch saucer on the top and slide the tubing through it.
- The pump should sit flat on the bottom, so ensure that you’ve adjusted the plastic tubing properly.
- Cut the extra tubing, leaving an inch and seal it with silicone. Let it dry.
- Place the 4 inch terra cotta saucer over the plastic tubing.
- Take the 4 inch flowerpot and place it next to the first flowerpot, also upside down.
- Place the 6 inch saucer on the top.
- Next to the 4 inch flowerpot, place the 4 inch saucer, upside down.
- The last 4 inch terra cotta saucer, is placed on top of the other 4 inch saucer.
- After you’ve finished placing the elements, fill the base with water.
- Plug the pump, adjust the elements and the flow of the water, as needed.
- Decorate your fountain with rocks, shells, plants, whatever you want.
- Remember to add some water from time to time, as needed.
- Your terra cotta fountain is ready!
For further information, check the video bellow. By following these simple steps, you will give your garden a whole new look, which you and your family will enjoy greatly.
Join 925,000 others and start your day with the latest news from grow your own, propagating and harvesting plants, how to save money and how to be green.