Watermelon is a cleansing, alkalizing and mineralizing fruit that improves health in numerous ways.
It belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family, along with cantaloupe, pumpkin and similar plants that grow on vines on the ground. Watermelons are round, oblong or spherical in shape, light to dark green in color, with lighter mottling stripes, and usually, their flesh is brightly red.
They are full of water, 92% to be more precise, as well as beta-carotene, folate, vitamin C, vitamin B5 and smaller amounts of B1, B2, B3, and B6. Watermelons are also high in essential minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and smaller amounts of copper, iron, and zinc.
Watermelons contain the red carotenoids pigment lycopene, which is a potent antioxidant, as well as citrulline, another important and beneficial compound.
Watermelon juice is incredibly healthy, and here are some of its health benefits:
– It is alkalizing, meaning that it neutralizes acidity in the system, and prevents chronic diseases, like cancer, and protects against parasites, harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi and yeasts.
– The high lycopene content fights inflammation and relieves and heals inflammatory conditions, like arthritis.
– Watermelon can lower C-reactive Protein (CRP)—a measure of body-wide inflammation linked to arthritis flares and heart disease, and it is also abundant in the carotenoid beta-cryptoxanthin, which alleviates the symptom of rheumatoid arthritis, and treats painful inflammatory joint conditions.
– This juice has laxative effects that improve regularity, calms the gastrointestinal tract, regulates pH levels, treats acid reflux, and fights inflammation and acidity. It is also excellent in the treatment of constipation.
– Being abundant in various minerals, watermelon juice replenishes electrolytes lost after a good workout and treats symptoms like muscle aches, spasms, twitches, and weakness; restlessness, frequent headaches, insomnia, heart palpitations, fatigue, numbness and pain in joints, and dizziness.
– It improves eye health since it is rich in beta-carotene (pro-vitamin A) which is converted into vitamin A (retinol) in the body. It prevents eye problems like age-related macular degeneration, cataracts, retinal degeneration, and night blindness.
– Watermelons are low in calories, but rich in water and fiber, so their consumption creates a feeling of satiety, cleanses the body of toxins and helps weight loss.
– Being rich in antioxidants, lycopene and other essential vitamins and minerals, watermelon juice lowers the risk of stroke and heart disease. Lycopene reduces the thickness of the internal layer of blood vessels, lowering the risk of myocardial infarction, while the prevention of LDL oxidation protects against heart attacks, ischemic strokes, and atherosclerosis.
– It is an effective detox drink that accelerates metabolism and eliminates all kinds of toxins from the body.
– Lycopene reduces oxidative stress and inflammation in the case of allergies and asthma, and the consumption of watermelon juice raises the immune responses in preventing attacks.
– The amino acid citrulline in watermelons, which is in the highest concentration in the white rind, together with vitamin C, breaks down kidney stones, detoxifies the kidneys and bladder, and fights inflammation caused by free radicals. Watermelon juice also acts as a diuretic, treating water retention, preventing bloating in PMS, and fighting urinary tract infections.
– Drinking watermelon juice relaxes and dilates the blood vessels and boosts energy levels and stamina, so it can act as a natural Viagra, and treats mild erectile dysfunction.
Additionally, watermelon seeds are also rich in nutrients, healthy fats, and minerals like magnesium, iron, and zinc. Therefore, they suppress appetite, energize the body, strengthen the hair, skin, and nails, accelerate metabolism, and prevent anemia, fatigue, depression.
Yet, despite the countless benefits of this fruit, its excessive consumption can have adverse effects, so make sure you follow these consumption tips:
- To avoid sleep disturbances during the night, make sure you eat these fruits or drink watermelon juice in the morning on an empty stomach or earlier in the day
- Watermelon rind contains 95% of the nutritional benefits, so you can juice it along the flesh and seeds
- Wash the watermelons well before consumption
- To preserve the freshness of the remaining watermelon, wrap it up with a cling wrap and keep refrigerated
- You can consume watermelons on their own, juices, or in fruit salads
We suggest you try the following delicious watermelon recipes as well:
Three Melon Smoothie
- 2 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1 cup cantaloupe melon, cubed
- 1/2 cup lemon-lime soda pop
- 1 cup honeydew melon, cubed
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
In the blender, mix the watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, and ice. Then, add the lemon-lime soda and puree until smooth.
Spicy Watermelon Tomato Salad
- 2 cups cubed, seeded watermelon
- 1 large red tomato, cut into cubes
- 1 large yellow tomato, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chile-garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemon basil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
To drain some of the moisture, spread watermelon, yellow tomato, and red tomato onto paper towels. Then, transfer them to a large bowl.
In a smaller bowl, whisk vinegar, olive oil, chile-garlic sauce, and honey together, and then pour the mixture over the first one. Season with lemon basil, salt, and black pepper.
- 4 cups diced seedless watermelon
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (.25 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 dash salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
In a large bowl, mix the watermelon, sugar, lemon juice, and salt, and stir well. Cover with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for half an hour.
Then, blend it in a blender until smooth, and return it to the bowl.
In a saucepan, pour the cold water, sprinkle the gelatin, and let it stand for a minute.
Then, cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
Add the gelatin mixture to the blended watermelon mixture, add the heavy cream, and beat with an electric hand mixer at medium speed until you get a fluffy mixture.
Next, transfer it to an ice cream maker, and freeze it until it reaches “soft-serve” consistency.
Transfer the ice cream to a suitable plastic container, cover with plastic wrap, and seal.
Leave it in the freezer for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
You will be confident in knowing exactly what is in the products your family uses and happy with the money you will save every month.
In addition, they offer you three more bonuses + 75% discount only this month!
- 105+ NATURAL HOME REMEDIES – Treat almost any illness with natural ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
- 75+ NATURAL BEAUTY RECIPES -Get the best hair and skin you’ve ever had and look younger with these insanely clever natural beauty recipes.
- 35+ DYI HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS & CLEANERS – Never Buy Toxic Cleaning products again! Save a fortune and your families health with these super simple homemade cleaning products that work better than the chemical ones.